Thursday, April 28, 2016

X is for Xmas (and no I'm not cheating)

We're so close to the end now and today's letter is the one I've been dreading, but it is going to be a short post as I'm feeling exhausted.  Our blogging from A to Z challenge post for the letter X is for  Xmas, one of our favourite times of the year.  It's one of those words that lots of people hate when they see it so I thought I would look up where it originated.

Interestingly it's not some sort of lazy short hand,  the X represents the Greek letter chi - this is the first letter of the Greek word for Christ, Christos and the word Xmas is thought to have been in use for over 1000 years.

I love all the decorations that you see in the shops at Christmas time and I especially love it if you come across a Christmas store that's open all year round.  Harrods, in London, has some amazing Christmas decorations and they really go all out on their window displays.

Christmas shop in Budapest
This is our lovely Christmas tree from couple of years ago - if you look closely you'll see that there is a decoration in the shape of a cat (remember I'm the crazy cat lady).

 

I love how towns and cities decorate themselves at Christmas time - it can make the dowdiest place sparkle with magic.




Many years ago we started a really silly tradition, and that was having a family photo to put on our Christmas card.  We don't do it every year but when we do it's great fun.


It's also quite challenging, as getting the brats to pose should be an olympic sport. Here's some shots of them as individuals, but we have done shots with everyone in the picure - by the end I've usually only got  a few scratches.






If we're home in Tasmania for Christmas then the tradition we must uphold is attending the Christmas parade on Christmas eve. The mini trucks are always really popular.


We love visiting Christmas markets, and I think our favourite so far has been the Birmingham one - it's such a colourful event.


That's it for now (I know it's short) be good, stay safe, and be kind to yourself this week.

Pamela & Ken
xxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment