Thursday, August 17, 2017

Top Ten Thursday: Movie quotes

Top Ten Thursday and thanks to Tamara at Part-time Working Hockey Mom we're listing our top ten movie quotes. This was nearly impossible as there are so many great quotes that I could have done a top fifty very easily. Shockingly I've not included any from Monty Python, Forest Gump, Dirty Dancing, Pretty Woman, The Usual Suspects, and I could go on.

I could have done a whole top ten from just two movies that I love, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and The Princess Bride, but I've manage to restrain myself and only put in a couple from each. Lets see what you think of my selection.

1. You killed the car. (Ferris Bueller's Day off)

2. While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it? (The Princess Bride)


3. You can't handle the truth. (A Few Good Men)

4. There are those that do not believe that a single soul born in heaven can split into twin spirits and shoot like falling stars to earth where over oceans and continents their magnetic forces will finally unite them back into one. But, how else to explain love at first sight? (Don Juan De Marco)

5. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home... only to no home I'd ever known... I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like... magic. (Sleepless in Seattle)

We've reached the halfway point - what do you think? Any of your favourites yet? The next quote is just for my beloved, as it's from his favourite movie of all time, Bladerunner (I've never seen it), and apparently this is one of the great quotes from the film.

6. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die. (Bladerunner)

7. We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all. (The Breakfast Club)

8. I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. (When Harry Met Sally)

9. As you wish. (The Princess Bride)

10. Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)



Now I want to watch all those films again. Do you have movie quotes that you love and are the first thing you think of when you think of that movie? Do you have quotes that you use for your own life situations that are from a movie? Before you go, pop over to Tamara's blog, Part-time Working Hockey Mom, and see what my fellow bloggers have come up with.

Until next time, be good, stay safe, and watch your favourite movie this week.

Pamela & Ken
xxxxxxxxxxxx

14 comments:

  1. Aaawww, the Harry quote made me smile. It was on my draft list, too.
    And of course "magic" (add a sigh)
    I don't even know most of the movies you are talking about, or if I saw them I can't remember the quote. "as you wish" sounds like something I might say - in a slightly bitchy tone ;-)
    Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry always makes me smile. Sleepless in Seattle - it doesn't matter how many times I see it that line always makes my eyes leak, such a lovely film.

      Delete
  2. ah, the princess bride - one of my favorite, so many good quotes in that. I like 'As you wish'

    Sleepless in Seattle - another wonderful gem

    When harry met sally - another good movie and that's a delightful quote.

    couldn't think of any movie quotes at the moment but I'm sure there are tons of them that I like.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's inconceivable that some people have never seen the Princess Bride - love that movie so much. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I used one of the same quotes in my post!

    Love the Princess Bride! I mean, who doesn't?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband doesn't love it which is probably his only fault.

      Delete
  4. Hi Pamela - gosh I'm hopeless at this sort of thing ... and I can't think of anything ... love Sleepless in Seattle and When Harry Met Sally ... I'm not sure I've seen the others ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love films and remember really useless quotes from them for ages - good for quizzes if ever needed.

      Delete
  5. Woody Allen in 'Annie Hall': "Don't worry. We can walk to the curb from here". I've used it many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great quote and I've often used a version of that one myself. Thanks for stopping by Denise.

      Delete
  6. The Bladerunner quote is one of my faves - and one of the most incredible cinematic scenes of all time. Love it. Princess Bride is THE most quotable movie of all time, hands down. I don't think a day passes that my husband and I don't reference it in some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often leave romantic notes for my beloved and one day I put the bladerunner quote down - we joked that it was the most romantic thing I'd ever said to him as it was from his favourite movie.

      Delete
  7. These are great movie quotes Pamela! My favs of the ones you listed are: "You can't handle the truth!" from A Few Good Men. What a great movie! The paper cut and lemon juice quote is so funny. And I definitely love #8 from When Harry Met Sally. That's another fabulous movie. And the scene where the woman in the diner says "I'll have what she's having" is hilarious.

    I know what you mean about being able to go on and on. When you're a big movie buff, there is almost an endless supply of great quotes. A few of my favorites are:
    1. From a movie that I love, the 1962 film Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?: (I used to be able to do a pretty darn good impression of Bette Davis delivering this line:
    Blanche (Joan Crawford): You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair.
    Jane (Bette Davis): But you *are*, Blanche! You *are* in that chair!

    Did you happen to watch the 2017 FX series "Feud" about the legendary feud between Bette Davis (played by Susan Sarandon) and Joan Crawford (played by Jessica Lange) while making that famous movie? It's OUTSTANDING and if you haven't seen it, by all means, make sure you do! Here's a link to the IMDB page about it with a great trailer video: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1984119/
    I could watch that series over and over. It's brilliant!

    2. From The Wizard of Oz: "Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." Classic! I've said that line a zillion times over the course of my life. It's applicable in so many situations. And of course, that famous line "There's no place like home." Ain't that the truth?!

    3. From my favorite movie duo, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, in the 1944 film classic To Have or Have Not:
    “If you want me, just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow."

    4. From The Silence of the Lambs starring the great Anthony Hopkins:
    "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

    5. From the movie that kept millions of people away from the beaches that year (1975), Jaws (okay, maybe 'millions' is an exaggeration): "You're going to need a bigger boat."

    6. "Stella! Hey Stella!" shouted by Marlon Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire

    7. "Go ahead. Make my day." spoken by the man who walks softly and carries a big gun, Clint Eastwood in Sudden Impact. I love all the Dirty Harry movies. Another great Clint Eastwood line from the first movie in the series, Dirty Harry:
    "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

    8. "They call me MISTER Tibbs!" back in 1970, delivered by the great Sidney Poitier in the movie with the same name

    9. Jack Nicholson in that famous scene from The Shining: "Here's Johnny!"

    10. and finally, the face-slap heard round the world, from the incomparable Cher in Moonstruck: "Snap out of it!"

    Good Lord, I could go on and on... This is a fun Top Ten! Now I want to do some binge movie-watching... :) I should put this comment into a blog post and join this blog hop...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of yours are ones that I quote as well, especially #3, #5, #7, and #9. Great movies and the so many of the lines just stick the mind to sometimes come out at the most inappropriate moment. The worst is when you throw in a movie quote and no one knows what you're talking about. Love Moonstruck and your quote from it has made me want to watch it again, and I'm definitely going to check out Feud as it sounds really interesting. Have a great day Michele and come join us at top ten anytime.

      Delete