Friday, March 02, 2018

Friday's Friendly Reflections

It's the end of another week and time for some fill ins that are set by Annie at McGuffy's Reader and Ellen at 15andmeowing.com - why don't you come and join us. The words in purple are the prompts that are provided and then the rest is me.
1. My favorite Dr. Seuss book is Green Eggs and Ham.
2. The most interesting person I have ever met is really difficult to choose so I'm going to have to go with two. The first is an elderly gentleman who fought in the second world war in the desert campaigns - I looked after him in Tasmania and he was so fascinating to talk to, and would share lots of things about his life. When he found out that I was going to work in the Middle East he got very animated and we talked for ages about customs and religion. I often think about this patient, even though it is twenty six years since I knew him.
The second person is an elderly gentleman that lived in the nursing home next to the secondary  college I went to. Sometimes during free classes two of us would go over to the home to talk to the residents and on about my second visit I met Carl and after we talked for a while he realised that he knew my dad when he was growing up, so from then on I would go across and chat to Carl and play cards with him. 
I think that we find out the most interesting things when we stop and listen to other peoples stories - everyone has something interesting to tell if we just give them the time. 
3. Besides books by Dr. Seuss, my favourite book as a child was actually a series by Susan Cooper called The Dark is Rising. It's a fantasy series set in England and Wales that includes aspects of Arthurian legend and mythology. I love these books and still reread them every few years.
4. Lately, I have been working on not catching any of the bugs that have been going around. Lots of people have been coming down with colds and chest infections and so far I have been lucky enough to escape them.
What was your favourite book when you were a child? Before you go make sure you hop over to Annie's Blog and see what my fellow bloggers have come up with for their fill ins.
Until next time, be good, stay safe, and I hope you read good books this week.
Pamela & Ken                                                                                                                                            xxxxxxxxxxxx
P.S: Lord Rocky Horror has taken over the house and it's like he's been here forever. We his humble servants are wrapped around his little paw, whilst Princess Cookie Cat sits in her gilded tower glaring and growling at the young upstart. Bramble Jelly still hasn't learnt that sticking her nose in Rocky's bottom will result in a whack on the nose.

7 comments:

  1. I read Green Eggs and Ham to my son so many times when he was small that I had it memorized! Such fun books to read!

    I agree with you that everyone has an interesting story if we just take the time to visit with them. Asking people questions about their lives is my most favorite thing to do.

    So far I have managed to escape the bugs going around too, and I hope we both stay clear of them, there are some nasty ones this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe that I just found out that my beloved has never read a Dr Seuss book? I think I might have to buy him one for his birthday.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Dr. Seuss gave so much joy to so many. I too read those books to my son and then my granddaughter. Such wonderful memories.

    Often we can find treasures in others if we just listen. So many interesting stores to be heard and cherished.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great memories. Have a lovely day Sandee.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for participating in the fill-ins, great answers. I like Green Eggs and Ham too :) Those do sound like interesting people. I am glad your new addition is adjusting. Have a nice weekend. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen and have a fabulous day.

      Delete
  4. Dr. Seuss stays with you. I still remember his words and the way they made me feel. Your fukids are adorable! HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete